Fithriyyah is a Doctor of Medicine and an environment youth activist since 2015. She is working on Planetary Health & Environmental Rights issues for her advocacy work at the moment. Fithriyyah has spoken at many international high-level policy consultation forums, representing youth locally and regionally, especially at the UN and ASEAN forums.
In this episode, Fithriyyah discusses
- her passion for environmental issues as a young leader, and the impact of environmental change on health
- joining local movements for youth activism before attending medical school
- understanding at a young age that she would need to work hard to reach her dreams
- studying environmental effects on human health
- joining the ASEAN Youth Forum, a youth community from 11 ASEAN countries
- the importance of meaningful youth participation throughout the process of policy change at local, national, and international levels
- language and financial barriers that impede young people from participating in international conferences and forums
- climate change and its effects, especially on marginalized communities
- the importance of each of us making small changes to have a positive effect on the environment
- ensuring that we provide space and support for young people
- and the remainder that we can all make change in our community.
Listen to all the episodes of The Power of Stories Podcast here.