A new UN report, “Progress on the Sustainable Development Goals: The Gender Snapshot 2023,” exposes the world’s shortcomings in achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment. The report calls for immediate action, highlighting the need for an additional $360 billion annually to bridge the gap.
Despite global efforts, the world is falling short of achieving gender equality. The report warns that if current trends continue, over 340 million women and girls (8% of the female population) will live in extreme poverty by 2030.
This new UN report reveals alarming statistics for what the world will look like in 2030, if we continue on this trajectory.
- Food Insecurity Crisis: Under a worst-case climate scenario, food insecurity is projected to affect as many as 236 million more women and girls, compared to 131 million more men and boys, due to climate change.
- Persistent Violence: No country is within reach of eradicating intimate partner violence, leaving countless women trapped in abusive relationships.
- Rising Conflict Impact: The number of women and girls living in conflict-affected contexts reached 614 million in 2022, a shocking 50% increase since 2017, with catastrophic consequences.
- Educational Crisis: Globally, at current rates of progress, an estimated 110 million girls and young women will be out of school in 2030, depriving them of opportunities and a brighter future.
- Gender Pay Gap: The labor and earnings gap remains persistently high, with women earning only 51 cents for every dollar men earn globally. Additionally, only 61.4% of prime working-age women are in the labor force, compared to 90% of prime working-age men.
The UN report sounds a critical alarm. Immediate action, collaboration, and increased investment are essential to ensure a world where every woman and girl enjoys equal rights and opportunities.
We’re kicking out hopelessness and amplifying your impact instead!
Several crises are exacerbating inequality. Anti-rights movements are gaining ground and digital spaces are used to fuel discrimination. That’s why action, collaboration and increased investment becomes ever more urgent!
Girls’ Globe is a global feminist media platform that amplifies the voices of changemakers for gender equality, human rights, social justice and sustainability. We know that this platform is more important than ever. Feminist activists, advocates, experts and organizations need to be heard to inspire the action, collaboration and investment that’s needed. We must ensure that the world does better.
Here are four ways you can join the movement for gender equality with Girls’ Globe.
- Raise Awareness. Share your stories, expertise, news and progress with a global audience that cares. Apply to become a member of Girls’ Globe as an individual or organization, and be a part of inspiring the action and investment needed. By joining Girls’ Globe you are also joining a global community of activists, advocates and experts – amplifying their voices too.
- Sponsor the Digital Feminist Movement for Gender Equality. Whether you’re an individual or organization, you can be part of ensuring that we can amplify the essential voices of changemakers. Girls’ Globe has a growing global community of activists, advocates, experts and organizations. And, with your support we can grow so much faster. The urgency is here. Start supporting Girls’ Globe today.
- Increase Your Storytelling for Impact Skills. Your voice matters. Your ideas and stories are important to strengthen gender equality and human rights. Our popular online course Digital Storytelling for Impact strengthens your digital communications skills in support of your personal mission. Enroll today to start making a more strategic impact with your work. Yes, you can enroll a group of activists in your network too.
- Partner with Girls’ Globe to Further Amplify Your Impact. Girls’ Globe support organizations with communications and storytelling. Whether it is to amplify an ongoing online campaign, or to bring our Solidarity Studio to your event. Girls’ Globe is your feminist media partner and we look forward to working with you. Learn more and book a call here.
There is no room for us to feel hopeless or meaningless.
The future of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development depends on prioritizing gender equality now. And the future for a more peaceful, just and equitable society requires us to collaborate and take action today. If you’re reading this and don’t feel that the above four options work for you, here are 10 other things you can do to be a part of the change today.
- Educate Yourself: Stay informed about gender issues globally to better advocate for change.
- Volunteer Locally: Support women’s organizations in your community through your time and skills.
- Donate Wisely: Contribute to charities and NGOs actively working for gender equality. Check out some of our member organizations.
- Vote for Equality: Support politicians and policies that prioritize gender equality and human rights. Your vote matters!
- Advocate for Policy Change: Write to your elected representatives and urge them to prioritize gender equality and human rights in their policies and legislation. Join or support advocacy groups that focus on gender issues to collectively push for change at a larger scale.
- Support Women-Owned Businesses: Empower female entrepreneurs and strengthen the economy.
- Mentor or Sponsor: Help women and girls in your network achieve their goals.
- Challenge Stereotypes: Speak out against harmful gender stereotypes and biases.
- Engage in Discussions: Encourage conversations about gender equality with friends and family.
- Attend Workshops and Webinars: Learn about women’s rights and how to make a difference.
There is hope in our collective action and in the community we build together. We know that your voice, your vote and your action matters.